Whether you’re a new business building your website for the first time or an established business revamping your online presence, the cost of professional photography may make you wonder if you can do without it.
After all, couldn’t you just take your own pictures? Or should I use stock photos? There must be more important things to spend your organization’s funds on than professional photography, right?
The truth is that having a professional headshot of themselves on their website can benefit any business, no matter what industry they are in. High-quality photography, showing the people behind the business, is an important asset that will contribute to your overall branding and success, no matter who your customers are or what you are selling. Professional photography should be at the top of the list of business expenses that are unquestionably worth it.
I’m sure you have a hundred or more reasons why you don’t want your headshot taken.
I understand that no one enjoys being photographed, but it doesn’t have to be a negative experience! Hiring a professional who knows what they’re doing is the key to a great shot and an overall positive experience. Looking natural, having good lighting, and having genuine expressions are all essential components of a great headshot, and a professional should help guide you through the process.
So, what are the top ten reasons to hire a professional headshot photographer?
It gives you credibility and professionalism, first and foremost. Potential clients, investors, and collaborators are more likely to take you seriously if they find you online, whether on LinkedIn, your website, or even Facebook.
Did you know that we are subject to judgment within 11 seconds of meeting or seeing someone? This may seem crazy, but isn’t it a good idea to use those 11 seconds (or probably much less online) to present your best self? Whether we like it or not, we do judge a book by its cover. People desire to collaborate with others. Put your best foot forward.
Customers are interested in getting to know you!
A good headshot gives potential customers an idea of who you are, and a great smile can go a long way. Stock photos are one option that some businesses consider when a photo shoot with a professional photographer appears to be out of reach. That is not the best way to promote your business. Why? Because they are not photos of you or your business!
People want to get to know you when they visit your website.
Stock photos aren’t going to help them with that, and they might give people the wrong impression of what you have to offer. Showing potential customers actual photos of your business, team members, and products is the best way for them to get to know you.
When you call on a potential client, a great headshot will help you feel confident and professional. I always recommend hiring a professional makeup artist and hairstylist. I work with local professionals who can get you ready in the studio, saving you from having to travel all over town or do it yourself before your session. It’s amazing how much more confident you’ll feel. If you’re looking to lose 10 pounds, there’s no need to wait; my retouching can slim those cheeks or arms down just enough to make a noticeable difference! No one, not even you, will be able to tell.
Stand out from the crowd.
A great LinkedIn profile photo will set you apart from the competition. You have no idea how many people cut out a photo of themselves from a wedding with their arm around an ex. It’s usually a grainy, cropped photo; this isn’t a good way to show who you are or what you stand for. I’m also always surprised by how many people don’t even have a LinkedIn profile photo. Remember, this is your first line of introduction, so make it great!
A visual representation of who you are.
How many times have you attended a function and met someone with whom you wanted to do business? A good, clean (and current) headshot can help someone remember you and connect with you on LinkedIn.
There is a lot of discussion these days about branding your image. Many people believe that branding is only for large corporations, but it is also applicable to individuals. I see it all the time: someone works for a large corporation, but the corporation lacks consistent professional headshots. Some are wedding cutouts with no profile shot; others are against a wall with a phone and bad shadows on their faces… Imagine pulling up a company profile, seeing a drop-down list of their employees, and seeing that they all appear professional. This has a significant impact on the company’s image. After all, a company is made up of its people; wouldn’t you want your company to be well represented on LinkedIn and your website?
40 More reasons Why Professional HeadShot portraits Are Important
1. Creates a Professional Impression: A professional headshot conveys a strong message about your professionalism to potential clients, employers, or collaborators.
2. Enhances Your Biography Page: People want to see who they’re working with. Including a professional headshot on your website or portfolio enhances your biography page and makes it more personal and inviting.
3. Personal Branding: A high-quality headshot is key for creating a personal brand. It can convey your personality and values, all in one shot.
4. Useful Across Multiple Platforms: Professional headshots can be used across all your professional and personal social media profiles, helping to maintain a consistent image.
5. Elevates Your Resume: A resume with a professional headshot stands out and gives potential employers a good first impression.
6. Attracts Better Opportunities: A polished and professional headshot can attract high-quality opportunities as it implies that you value your work and career.
7. Increases Trust: It’s much easier to trust someone when you can see their face. A professional headshot can build trust with clients, customers, or collaborators before you even meet them.
8. Shows You’re Up to Date: An outdated headshot can make it look like your career is stagnating. Regularly updated headshots show you’re active and engaged in your industry.
9. Engages More on Social Media: Social media profiles with professional headshots tend to have better engagement rates. They’re more likely to get likes, shares, and comments.
10. Enhances Your Credibility: A professional headshot adds credibility to your business or personal brand. It shows that you’re serious about what you do.
11. Makes You More Memorable: A well-done headshot can make you more memorable to clients or recruiters, increasing the chances they’ll reach out to you when an opportunity arises.
12. Essential for Public Speaking Engagements: If you’re speaking at conferences or events, organizers will likely ask for a professional headshot to use in their promotional materials.
13. Makes You Feel Good About Yourself: A great headshot can boost your self-esteem and confidence, which can in turn positively impact your performance in your professional life.
14. Connection Building: A professional headshot can help to create a connection with others, making you appear approachable and open to opportunities.
15. For Publications: If you’re ever featured in an article, having a professional headshot ready saves time and ensures you’re presented in the best light.
16. Accommodates Press Releases: If you’re launching a new product or service, or have company news to share, a press release with a professional headshot will get more attention.
17. Aligns with Your Company’s Image: A professional headshot can reflect your company’s brand and image, ensuring alignment across all professional touchpoints.
18. Makes a Great First Impression: The first impression counts. A professional headshot ensures that the first impression you make is a positive one.
19. Stand Out in Search Results: A professional headshot can make you stand out in search results, especially in professional networks like LinkedIn.
20. Required for Many Industry Professionals: Actors, models, and many other industry professionals require a high-quality headshot as a standard part of their resume.
21. To Show Commitment: Investing time and money into a professional headshot shows that you are committed to your profession.
22. Adds Personal Touch to Email: Including a headshot in your email signature adds a personal touch and makes you more memorable.
23. For Business Cards: Including a headshot on your business card can make it stand out and be more memorable.
24. Attracts Positive Attention: A professional headshot can attract positive attention and stimulate interest in you and your business.
25. Differentiates You From Competitors: A professional headshot can set you apart from your competitors and give you an edge.
26. Elevates Online Presence: A headshot adds to your online presence and can make your online profiles look much more professional.
27. Reflects Your Best Self: A professional photographer knows how to bring out your best features and make you look your best.
28. Enables Fast Recognition: If you meet a lot of people in networking events, having a headshot allows people to connect your face with your name more easily.
29. Required for Contributor Bios: Many blogs or publications require a professional headshot if you’re contributing an article or feature.
30. For Professional Directories: Being listed in professional directories often requires or is enhanced by a professional headshot.
31. Needed for Book Jackets: If you’re an author, a professional headshot is often included on your book’s jacket or inside cover.
32. Increases LinkedIn Connections: LinkedIn profiles with professional photos get more connection requests than those without.
33. More InMail Responses: LinkedIn profiles with professional headshots are more likely to get responses to their InMails.
34. Essential for Job Seekers: Job seekers with professional headshots are more likely to get hired.
35. Increases Views on LinkedIn Articles: Articles posted on LinkedIn with a professional headshot have a higher chance of being viewed.
36. Makes a Statement: A professional headshot makes a statement about who you are and what you represent.
37. Great for Networking: Having a professional headshot is extremely beneficial in networking events and situations.
38. Boosts Your Website: Professional headshots give your website a more professional appearance.
39. Appropriate for Various Marketing Materials: From brochures to billboards, professional headshots can be used in a variety of marketing materials.
40. Shows Your Evolution: Updating your headshot over time can show your evolution as a professional, marking your growth and change.
Remember, a professional headshot is an investment in your personal brand.
Images can assist you in getting found on the Internet.
If your business has a website, you’ve probably heard of search engine optimization, or SEO. This is the practice of strategically optimizing various elements of your website to help it perform better in search engine ranking results. Images are one of the many elements that comprise SEO.
Optimized photos can help your website appear in image search results, such as Google Images, and perform better in general search results. They can also help to engage customers and keep them on your website for longer periods of time, as well as persuade them to choose you over a competitor.
Professional photographs are useful assets. When it comes to online marketing for your business, “content is king.” This has been true for a long time and will continue to be so. What many people don’t realize is that photos are content—and a powerful, versatile type of content at that.
Your website can be infinitely more engaging online with the help of photos.
They can help you build your brand on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google My Business, and others. They can also be included in blog posts and articles; the options are limitless.
Offline, photos can be used in brochures and other promotional materials. By investing in professional photography, you provide yourself with new, useful ammunition that can be used to enhance your marketing efforts in a variety of ways.
A thousand words are worth a thousand pictures.
This is probably something you’ve heard before. Pictures nowadays are worth at least a thousand words, if not more! Instead of telling your clients and customers what you have to offer, photos allow you to show them. Before making a decision, people like to see things for themselves. Because of the internet, photos and videos of your products and offerings are more valuable than ever before.
A professional and experienced headshot photographer can advise you on wardrobe, location, hair, makeup, and how to be the best “you” possible.
Sure, iPhone cameras are getting better, but there is no substitute for understanding good lighting, how to position the subject, or bringing out the best in yourself.
A good photographer will know how to retouch your photos so that you still look like yourself. A good photo retoucher can remove blemishes, whiten teeth, smooth out skin, and even remove 10 pounds! A good headshot photographer should bring out the best in the person they are photographing while still making them look like themselves. We all want those wrinkles to disappear, but let’s be honest: we earned them. Don’t completely eliminate your lines if you’re a 45-year-old professional woman. First and foremost, it does not appear natural; secondly, own those lines; you earned them (we will simply soften them slightly)!
A professional photographer should inquire about your industry specialization and professional objectives. The photography session should be tailored to your specific objectives. It makes no sense to get a head shot with a coat and tie if you are a house painter, but if you meet with large corporations to do commercial work, you might find a happy medium with a dress shirt and no tie.
Did you know that the color you wear can convey an “I’m powerful” or “I’m approachable” vibe to a potential customer? Color has an immediate subliminal impact on the viewer. These minor differences can have a significant impact on how you are perceived. For example, if you work in finance and want your executives to appear more approachable, they should wear soft blue tones rather than powerful, bold colors like red.
A professional headshot is truly invaluable. It is your brand and your first point of contact; make it a good one. Contact me if you’d like to inquire about a professional headshot session. I’d love to help make the process easy and enjoyable while also providing you with an image you’ll be proud to display.
Ah, the age-old debate: to splurge on professional photography or to DIY? The answer, dear reader, is simple: invest in the pros, and watch your brand soar. Why, you ask? Allow me to enlighten you with a witty yet informative breakdown of the top 10 reasons:
- Professionalism: Want credibility? Get a headshot.
- First Impressions: 11 seconds, folks. Make ’em count.
- Authenticity: Stock photos? Nope. Customers want YOU.
- Confidence: Pro shots = instant swagger (makeup and retouching included).
- Stand Out: Ditch the grainy wedding pic, and LinkedIn like a boss.
- Memory Jogger: “Oh, THAT person!” – A good headshot’s impact.
- Consistency: Your company’s image? Assembled like a dream team.
- SEO Boost: Optimized images = more eyeballs on your site.
- Versatility: Photos as content? Online, offline, everywhere!
- A Thousand Words: Show, don’t tell. Let photos do the talking.
Work with a skilled headshot photographer who understands your goals, uses color psychology, and retouches like a pro. Embrace your hard-earned lines, and let your headshot make a powerful introduction. Trust me, your brand (and wallet) will thank you later.